Sunday, March 20, 2011

Things I Remember

Isn't it funny how you can just be sitting somewhere and a thought/memory pops into your mind.  This morning while I was making some oatmeal for breakfast I suddenly had a memory of my mother in the kitchen making oatmeal for us as children.  It always felt like she created whatever meal she made for us with so much love.  It wasn't just oatmeal.  Somedays it was oatmeal with a little dollop of vanilla ice cream.  She would make such a big deal out it and we sat their and ate every word of what she said up.

Being a mother is a hard job.  I think sometimes it's a job some think of as simple or insignificant.  Our mother made it feel like it was her most important job.  They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day...breaking the fast from overnight.  But, maybe it should be something else.  For me, and I think this is why I have the memory,  our mother made it an important part of our day.  It was a time for us to look at the person who loved us more than anything and carry that love with us throughout the day.

Peace

3 comments:

  1. When I spend time with my granddaughters the memories of the time I spent with my Mom is so heartfelt. I was washing dishes when two of my granddaughters and greatgrandson stopped by for a surprise visit.They wanted to take me to the Cherry Blossom Festival.Both of them gave me a hug and kiss on the check like they always do.In the meantime I was cuddling my greatgrand son.My granddaughters were feasting off the leftover cabbage and lamb their granddaddy had cooked for dinner. One of my granddaughters said when I come over here it feels like home.For some reason after she said those words a strong present of my Mom filled the kitchen.Some of my best conversations with my Mom was in the kitchen. We began to laugh and talk for the rest of the evening.We did not make it to the Cherry Blossom Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this information Zenobia. Isn't it funny how things happen! We create memories everyday while remembering the things that made us what and who we are. I am now thinking about the legacy and what I am doing to create some good memories for my children and grandchildren...and the children to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think back to what reminds me of "home". I equate so much of that to the smells coming from the kitchen. It was around the kitchen/dining area that much love was, and is, shown for me. One way both my mother and grandmother demonstrated their love for us by the meals and dessert treats they gave/baked us. All those delicious smells would hit you as you walked in the door and you always knew you were "home". It brought comfort, peace and a sense of belonging. I cherish that and have carried on the same tradition. I often wonder if my kids will feel the same way as they look back one day. I have boys and they definitely process things differently. It will be interesting to see if these kinds of memories even play into their thoughts some day.

    ReplyDelete