Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Affect Expression

This is a topic I talk about almost every day. There are at least a hundred words to describe how we feel. No matter how old or how well trained we sometimes inappropriately express how we feel. I am not talking about our physical wellbeing. We might be able to pinpoint the place on our bodies that is hurting but many of us have trouble expressing our emotions accurately. Yesterday, I was stressed out and instead of just saying I was stressed I went on and on about "the plan" which only served to add to the stress levels of others around me. How do we communicate more effectively with the people around us how we are feeling? Luckily, I was with people who love and care about me. They will overlooked my transgression. Spending some time thinking about how we feel and then how we communicate this to others might be a good idea.

1 comment:

  1. I thank you so much for posting this comment today, because it is very applicable to me right now during this stage of my life. I have always struggled with expressing myself verbally, but it wasn't until the events of two months ago that I have come to realize how much I truly struggle with this. I have been trying to address this issue on my own but with the help of choice theory and reality therapy I have learned to break the emotion down into: a thought, a feeling, an action/deed, and something physiological. I plan on practicing this approach in an effort to be able to better recognize my emotions and call them by name.

    ReplyDelete