Saturday, February 26, 2011

What To Do When You Get Stuck

It does not matter who we are, where we are from or where we are going...we all seem to get stuck at some point in time.  I don't know about anyone else but I feel like I am constantly on the go.  But sometimes it feels like I'm moving but not going anywhere.  It doesn't happen often but when it does I stop all forward motion.  I don't stop moving, I just don't move forward.  I am a gerbil on a wheel going a hundred miles an hour in a circle!  How do I get off this thing?

It's not easy.  It kind of feels good to keep doing what you are doing but it also feels unproductive.  You are doing something - ineffective as it may be - you are doing something.  I wonder what would happen if we (me/you) would take a risk and just stop the moving.  Sure, it sounds like we are playing in to the "stuck" but maybe what we are doing is taking a deep breath in and gathering our thoughts and energy so that we can do something more effective.  Maybe what we have to do is stop the train so we can get the cars in the right order.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. It's not easy to just stop. I always feel like there are so many people who count on me staying on my wheel so theirs don't jump the track.

    It is almost like our wheels depend on each other to maintain the flow of things. Even when you realize you are just spinning a wheel, if that wheel is all you know how do you stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. RuthieGene, You are so right! Stopping is not easy. Somedays it feels down right impossible. But you can stop. You are also right on the money with you idea about the wheels spinning. The wheel(s) may be spinning out of control but you can try to find one thing that helps you regain focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RuthieGene, I noticed that I missed a part of the comment related to "others" who might need your wheel spinning to keep them on track. How much responsibility can we take for others behaviors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI All, I will confess that I am new to blogs and didn't realize I needed to check it (as opposed to receiving an email) regularly. I'm also clueless about how to become a regular member. Help. Anyway, I am an expert on staying 'on the wheel.' However, I have been using my physical awareness to enlighten me as to when to simply stop. I've been choosing to relax more and to take more hot baths. Life is all about choices. I think I'll take a hot bath now. Peace. Linda

    ReplyDelete